3 tablespoons of coconut oil
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups diced seeded peeled butternut squash (we buy our squash already pre cut from Costco)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 cups of chicken broth (use the organic, no salt added)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
**Optional 1 handful of toasted pumpkin seeds
1. In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat and coat the bottom of the pot. When the coconut oil is melted add the onion and cook, stirring until it is translucent, which is about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the squash, garlic, and ginger and stir until the garlic becomes aromatic, about 1 minute.
2. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until butternut squash is soft, about 10 minutes and then remove from the heat.
3. In one or two batches, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender. I like to use my Vitamix or a larger food processor. Return everything to the pot.
4. Heat the soup over medium high heat until the thickness is enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. That usually takes about 7-10 minutes. Season with Salt and pepper.
5. I also love adding toasted pumpkin seeds (you can get them without the shell and then toast for a few minutes in the oven.)
You have to let me know what you think of this soup?! It is always one of my "got to" soups! Plus, with the cold weather here it is great to warm the soul on these cold days.