Ok everyone!! We've waited for it all year and it's finally here! We're in the ZONE! We're in the window! This is the EXACT moment when everything can start sliding downhill and FAST when it comes to your health & fitness goals! It's amazing how QUICKLY your skinny jeans can become your "skin tight" jeans, and your energy & happiness levels begin to plummet! And that's just NO fun!
I used to think it was the stress. I would blame it on the extra pressures of the season. And then I got real with myself - it may have been some of these things, but really it came down to a nibble here, and a bite there, and before I knew it - YUP! - it was "tight pants Tuesday!"
But it wasn't about the jeans size I ended up with after Thanksgiving Day - it had NOTHING to do with the label number! It had EVERYTHING to do with how I FELT - the tight jeans were just what showed on the OUTSIDE.
On the INSIDE was how my energy wasn't consistent and how it started happening so quickly. How I was craving more & more sugar to keep myself going. How I KNEW I was in the vicious sugar-cycle but I couldn't break it.
If you can relate to any of this, I want you to know that it does NOT have to be this way this season.
You can still have the treats. You can still have the festivities. And Thanksgiving Day can absolutely STILL & SHOULD be celebrated. But it doesn't mean that the holiday season has to leave you feeling worn out and tired.
For me, deprivation never works. It makes me sad. It makes me feel left out. It makes me feel ultimately like this is something completely unsustainable. And that leaves me feeling out of control without a plan.
So, what changed? When did I get to the point where I found balance? I'll be honest - it's still a daily work in progress. BUT, I know what trips me up and I know what to do BEFOREhand to make sure I stay on track with my goals.
So, here are my "TOP 10 Tips for Not Gaining '10' Thanksgiving Day Pounds."
1. Workout in the morning. Yes, I really mean that :) Whatever that may be. A run? Great! An at-home workout? Awesome!
A spin/yoga/pilates class? GET IT DONE! Make it non-negotiable! You will change your mindset immediately! You will feel supported! You'll get your sweat on, raise those endorphins, and start feeling awesome immediately! I promise!!
2. Eat breakfast in the morning. (Hopefully after that workout, see #1 :) ) Don't try to "save" those calories. Unless you're following an intermittent fasting program, don't try "banking" those calories. You'll start feeling run-down almost immediately - setting yourself up for high-calorie, sugar-laden indulgences! 2 scrambled eggs, 1/4 avocado, some Ezekiel toast & a cup of coffee - and call breakfast DONE! :)
3. Eat lunch around mid-day. Most Thanksgiving dinners aren't going to start until around 2pm. Eat lunch. Try a huge veggie salad with grilled chicken, nuts/seeds, quinoa, EVOO/vinegar.
5. Indulge. Yes, I said that :) - BUT, watch your portions. Load your plate first with turkey & fresh veggies. Then if you "have" to have that mac & cheese, take a small spoonful - and move along. Then save those "favs" to eat last. Enjoy them, and then be done with them.
6. BYOB! Going to a friend or family member's house? Bring your own Broccoli! Your own Brussels sprouts! Bring your own healthy meals and make enough for other people to share!
7. Know whatever you choose is totally ok. Listen, this is about YOU! If you know that you want to cut loose, eat what you want, take a day off, and just get back to things on Friday - then just do that! Seriously. Life is way too short to worry about 1 day. One meal won't make you overweight, just like 1 workout won't make you fit.
8. Workout on Friday morning. Not only will this help burn off any extra cals, you'll get back into your routine of fueling your body and doing something good for it. Raise those endorphins again. Feel awesome! Get your mind in a good place! This is not punishment! This is about CARING for and LOVING your body. 30 minutes of a good sweat and you're done :)
9. Realize Thanksgiving Day is just that - a DAY. Not 3 days. Not a week. If you indulge today, get back on track tomorrow. It's not a big deal. Get rid of the pies. Get rid of the white bread rolls. It's basically just sugar anyway, so don't feel badly about throwing it away. Keep the turkey. Keep the Brussels sprouts. Keep the (non-marshmallow) sweet potatoes. :) And just like that - you're back on track!!
10. Give yourself GRACE. There's no "right" or "wrong." And for real - If these tips stress you out, make you upset, or worry that you're doing things "wrong", just take a deep breath. The point is to feel awesome, happy, confident and energetic with lots of extra love to share with others.
Normally by fueling your body with healthy, whole foods, you'll end up feeling that exact way!
I'll be hosting a "Holiday Survival" fitness & nutrition support group starting on Monday, December 4th. We'll have each other to lean on, share some delicious recipes and get through the holidays feeling AWESOME! PM me for details or follow the link above to fill out my challenge group application.
Remember, there's SO much to be grateful for. Every single day. We are so blessed. We are so fortunate. We have so many opportunities to create an amazing life. So focus on that, breathe deeply, and share your gratitude with the wonderful people you get to share the day with tomorrow!!!
With lots of love!!!!